Lockwood Vets 01902 605080
Rosewood Vets 01902 671777
Burton Vets 01283 510363
Hednesford Vets 01543 878625
Blackheath Veterinary Centre 0121 559 1599
Waterfront Veterinary Centre 01384 482121
St George's Veterinary Centre 01952 610500
Bearwood Veterinary Clinic 0121 429 1400

Animal Health Certificate

Talk to our helpful staff today about how we can help you with your pet travel arrangements

From 1st January 2021, pets such as dogs, cats and ferrets can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain. Owners wanting to take their pets to Northern Ireland or abroad to the EU will have to apply for an animal health certificate under new post-Brexit rules.

As a valued member of the family, many of us want to take our pet abroad to enjoy a family holiday. If you are considering taking your pet on holiday abroad with you, you must plan ahead. To avoid refusal of entry into the EU or risk quarantine at the UK border, your pet will require an Animal Health Certificate to be issued under the new EU regulations and Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).

Please note: Animal health certificates can only be issued at Rosewood & Bearwood.

Pet travel to Europe or NI requirements

  • Microchip
  • Rabies vaccination – pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.
  • Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel.
  • Tapeworm treatment given (if required) 1 to 5 days before arriving. Vet must enter full details on the AHC following treatment.
  • Animal Health Certificate following examination of pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU or NI. AHC can only be signed by an Official Vet.
  • The pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU or NI.

AHC will be valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI
  • Onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue
  • Re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue

You’ll need to take your dog to a vet for an approved tapeworm (Echinococcus) treatment. You must do this no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before entering GB.

Check the vet has put the following details in the ‘Echinococcus treatment’ section of your dog’s Animal Health Certificate:

  • The name and manufacturer of the product
  • The date and time they treated your dog
  • Their stamp and signature
  • You will be asked for your pet's valid Animal Health Certificate and Rabies vaccination card
  • Your pet's microchip will be scanned to ensure that the information matches the corresponding documentation.

Our experienced veterinary surgeons can advise you on how to go about obtaining an Animal Health Certificate, the costs and procedures involved depending on where you intend to travel to.

In all cases your pet will need to be micro-chipped, and vaccinated against rabies.

Our veterinary surgeons can also offer assistance if you and your pet are leaving the United Kingdom for an extended period of time, or emigrating.

They are also able to offer advice on flying with pets, and how to safely transport your pet on holiday with you, as well as advising you of any legal requirements about transporting or travelling with your pet.

All Services
Register your pet